The Society for Institutional and Organizational Economics awards prizes in institutional and organizational economics, named after four Nobel Prize winners closely linked to our society. The awards are
• A Ronald Coase Best Dissertation Award (annual).
• An Oliver Williamson Best Conference Paper Award, for the best paper delivered at the SIOE conference (annual).
• A Douglass North Best Book Award, for the best book in institutional and organizational economics published during the previous two years (bi-annual).
• An Elinor Ostrom Lifetime Achievement Award, for sustained significant academic contributions to the field (bi-annual).
The details of the nomination and selection procedures are available on the SIOE website.
The calls for nominations for the 2020 Ronald Coase Best Dissertation and for the 2020 Douglass North Best Book Awards are now open.
The Douglass North Best Book Award:
• For the best book in institutional and organizational economics published during the previous two years.
• Nominations may come from any academic other than the author(s) of the work, and must include a letter explaining the reasons for the nomination.
• Book nominations must include an electronic copy of the front matter (title page, copyright page, preface, and table of contents). Copies of the top three short listed books may be requested from the Press, the author, or the nominator.
• Submissions should be sent to the chair of the 2020 North Award Committee, Scott Gehlbach, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The submission deadline is February 29.
The Ronald H. Coase Dissertation Award:
• Anyone may nominate a dissertation. To be eligible, the candidate’s PhD must have been awarded during the calendar years 2018 or 2019
• Nominees will be asked to submit a 5-page abstract of their dissertation, and have their advisor or a Ph.D. committee member send a letter (under separate cover) explaining the contribution of the dissertation and why it should be considered for this award.
• The Award Committee will review entries and choose a shortlist of finalists. Finalists will be asked to submit their full dissertation.
• The Selection Committee will choose a winner among the finalists. The results will be announced at the SIOE meeting in June.
• Submissions should be sent to the chair of the 2020 Coase Award committee, Andrea Prat, at email@example.com.
• Deadline for submission is February 29.