By Bob Gibbons
The Society for Institutional and Organizational Economics awards prizes in institutional and organizational economics, named after the four Nobel Prize winners closely linked to the society. The awards are as follows.
- A Ronald Coase Best Dissertation Award(annual)
- An Oliver Williamson Best Conference Paper Award, for the best paper delivered at the SIOE conference (annual)
- A Douglass North Best Book Award, for the best book in institutional and organizational economics published during the previous two years (bi-annual, including 2022)
- An Elinor Ostrom Lifetime Achievement Award, for sustained significant academic contributions to the field (bi-annual, next in 2023)
The details of the nomination and selection procedures are available on the SIOE website, at https://www.sioe.org/sioe-awards.
The calls for nominations for the 2022 Ronald Coase Best Dissertation Award and the 2022 Douglass North Best Book Award are now open. The results will be announced at the 2022 SIOE Conference (in Toronto, June 23-25).
The Ronald H. Coase Dissertation Award:
- Anyone may nominate a dissertation (including the author). To be eligible, the candidate’s PhD must have been awarded during the calendar years 2020 or 2021.
- Nominees must submit a 5-page abstract of their dissertation, and must have their advisor or a Ph.D. committee member send a letter (under separate cover) explaining the contribution of the dissertation and why it should be considered for this award.
- The Coase Award Committee will review entries and choose a shortlist of finalists. Finalists will be asked to submit their full dissertation.
- Submissions should be sent to the chair of the 2022 Coase Award Committee, Federica Carugati, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The deadline for submission of abstract and letter is March 23rd.
The Douglass North Best Book Award:
- Anyone (not including the author or authors) may nominate a book published during the calendar years 2020 or 2021.
- Nominations must include a letter explaining the reasons for the nomination, as well as an electronic copy of the book’s front matter (title page, copyright page, preface, and table of contents).
- Copies of the top three short-listed books may be requested from the Press, the author, or the nominator.
- Submissions should be sent to the chair of the 2022 North Award Committee, John Wallis, at email@example.com.
- The deadline for submission of letter and front matter is March 23rd.